Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Its beginning to look a lot like Christmas

Today I took a rare trip to the shops and stumbled across these gorgeous little metal Christmas decorations that I simply could not resist. I have a very rustic home with exposed beams and huge exposed tree trunks for upright posts, so they fit right in to my decor. My only regret is that I did not buy more!



They inspired me to make my version of a artistic Christmas tree from contorted willow that I spray painted silver. I think I may take it to dress up my table on SUNDAY to the WOODBRIDGE COMMUNITY MARKET at Woodbridge Community Hall (11am - 3.30pm) and get my shoppers into the festive spirit. The little silver bells hanging on my tree are also very rustic and lightly sanded to give the country feel, with little cut out stars on them. Little "J" did not like my impression of a Christmas tree at all and asked "mummy when are we putting up the REAL tree, that is just a stick!"
Last year I made this quilted ADVENT CALENDER (pictured in background) from a cute little penquin fabric panel. Each pocket is cut and handsewn, and has a number on them for the advent countdown. Little "J" delights in checking each pocket every morning! (I must admit, he is very good and has not rummaged through each pocket already .. I think he relishes in the surprise each day which is delightful. His restraint gobsmacks me as I am sure if it was me when I was his age I would have most probably itemised every pocket by now!). The edging was stippled by machine on free form... I am not the perfect handstippler, and this was my first attempt. Shortly after making this, I purchased a big machine quilting frame that stipples quilts up to queen size... Hopefully over the summer I will get the opportunity to play around with it.
I am very anxious to use the fabrics the lovely Amy Schimler sent me not too long ago, and hope to quilt a lap quilt with them all.

3 comments:

Penni Russon said...

Oh you're so clever! That advent calendar is gorgeous. What a wonderful keepsake for your boy.

I hope you are keeping well Sus. Thanks so much for the offer of hair ties, but both girls have very short hair at the moment. Well Una's is a bit unruly, but I am planning a trim.

I Purr-Furr to Craft said...

really lovely decorations, I have not seen stuff like that either, i would have gone for them too. Have a very merry Christmas.

Luisa said...

love your hearts, great find, please DO NOT tell me where you bought them!
Your Advent calender is very special, I love your tree too.
clever lady!